Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Limpa, Swedish Rye BBA # 37



Dear BBA friends, I have a confession, I have killed the bread. I don't know how. Things were going so well. I had some organic oranges and made dried orange peels some time ago. Last night, I crushed them in my mortar and pestle and made the intriguing sponge with the water, molasses and dried orange peel, aniseed, fennel seed and cardamon. I let it cool and added it to some very happy barm and white rye flour. I had a bubbly perky sponge.

This morning, I measured out some bread flour, the yeast (I do remember doing this) the salt, brown sugar and vegetable oil. And then, because I was out of my high gluten flour, I added some vital wheat gluten. Some where I have done something wrong. It didn't windowpane. Do you knead longer? Or avoid the death by gumminess. I avoid gumminess.

It may be the weather. It is wet and cold here. But have moved the loafs into the slightly warmed oven to rise. They are not rising.

It may that they sense my attitude. I am in a bad mood. I have an ill child and I cannot figure out what is wrong with her. I have been a school nurse for a long time. Generally, I have a clue. I am off today, to bake the bread that will not rise but smelled so good and go to the doctor. The stupid bread.

People have had great success. Oggi gave it all fives, and hers look so beautiful. Gaaarp thought it was amazing. Sally's looks delightful. She said that hers didn't rise much, but mine is in two loaf pans, a little effort on its part would be appreciated at this point.

I don't like rye flour. It is pasty. Not pleasant. Perhaps it senses it. It feels kind of alive...

Have I mentioned that my bread is not rising. How long do you think is too long a rise?



Scout doesn't understand it all. At the end of a long day, she is just looking for a place to rest her head.

Two hours later, there was some signs of life and in the oven, spring, just like Oggi had predicted. But no where near what I expected. Still they are delicious.

5 comments:

  1. Aww, Scott is too cute!

    Don't despair yet. My dough also looked like it was napping on the cold kitchen counter. I put it in the oven with the light bulb on and it perked up after about 20 minutes and had a great oven spring too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it might be the dried orange pee.

    But seriously, I hope your child is feeling better. It's so worrisome when they're sick, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mags, Mags I cannot stop laughing. Where is spell check when you really need it?

    Emily is doing better. It is worrisome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At least you still have a sense of humor. I haven't gotten to this one yet in the challenge! Your version sounds delicious with the homemade organic orange peel.

    I hope your daughter is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear you enjoyed the flavor. I couldn't stand the smell of my Swedish rye. Flavor-wise, it was ok, though.

    ReplyDelete