Search This Blog

Friday, March 15, 2013

Soup's On - French Fridays with Dorie



There are somethings that I want to taste simply because visually they appeal to me.  Fresh strawberries, autumn pears, a chunk of cheese, a beautifully browned baguette all would beckon to me with their beauty, even before I smelled them.  Taste me.

This orange scented lentil soup lacks visual appeal.  Mine looked like brown water.  But the smell was intoxicating.  And the taste was delicious.

It started out with onions, carrots and celery sauteing in olive oil.  I added brown vegetable broth, but I don't think the alternative chicken broth would have really perked things up.  French green lentils, coriander seeds, pepper corns, one clove , some orange peel and some ginger were simmered for an hours.  After seasoning with salt and pepper I so enjoyed this soup with a piece of crunchy bread.  I really enjoyed the hints of ginger in each spoonful.

I am glad that I made this week's French Fridays with Dorie.

Last week I made the cheesy crème brulee  but didn't post.  We were not wowed by it.  We are not custard fans.  It tasted good, but I'd rather eat the cheese by itself.  




7 comments:

  1. I agree with your comments on this soup, delicious but completely lacking in the looks department. The bread is a good idea to perk it up! I didn´t make the cheesy creme brulee, and from what I gather, it wasn´t a tremendous hit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was hard for me too getting past the visual... I never thought about how much appearance matters even when food smells good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The soup did taste a lot better than it looked. It did smell delicious as it cooked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's such a tasty soup - too bad it doesn't look the part! We really enjoyed it, but it definitely wasn't my favorite dish to photograph. At least the flavor's there. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe how much the thickness of everyone's soup varied. Mine was so thick that I had to add extra broth (and it was still thick)

    Ugly yes, but tasty as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love lentil soup, so I never quite think of it as ugly, though everyone keeps mentioning it. I wasn't wowed by this one, though I did like the cheesy brulees last week, though I don't think I'll make either one again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also enjoyed this recipe- perhaps for the aroma as much as it's taste and health value. A real surprise. I adored that creme brulee recipe last week because I made the mistake of putting some on toasted fresh bread. I say mistake because I think I have gained 5 pounds already enjoying this sublime treat. Add fresh cracked pepper and you're in business :)

    ReplyDelete