Search This Blog

Sunday, January 30, 2022

Steph‘s Bakewell Tart




 I am so close to being caught up with the group baking all the recipes from Dorie Greenspan’s  Baking with Dorie.  Head over to Tuesdays with Dorie for the rules and upcoming scheduled recipes.  Two recipes a month, posted on the 2nd and 4th Tuesday.  I believe that I have only managed to post on one of the actual Tuesdays and Thursdays.  February, here we come.  

Anyway, Steff’s Bakewell Tart was the perfect dessert for a slow winter Sunday.   It’s too icy and slippery to go anywhere so I had plenty of time to work on dinner and dessert.   This tart starts predictably with a tart shell.  My 9” tart pan has a higher than usual edge, so I wondered how this would play out.  I parbaked the shell and filled the base with some blackberry jam.   Then I made the frangipane.  I thought about piping it into the tart, but was able to carefully spread it about.  My tart sides were too tall so I took off some of the height from my tart.  I really don’t want to add more pans to my collection, but I think I need a 9” tart pan with short sides.  

After the bake, I decided to try to feather the icing.  I don’t think that I have ever feathered icing but I saw some beautiful Blakewell tarts out there.  I think that I needed my icing to be a little thicker.  And, some how it looks a little too “EKG strips” for me.   I think that I will make this desert again.  It was unusual, not what I typically think of when I hear tart.  We all enjoyed it. 

I need to fit some cheese puffers into the rotation and I’ll be up to date.


1 comment:

  1. You are 2 for 2. We really enjoyed this one. It was so good.

    ReplyDelete