Search This Blog

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Gougères - French Fridays with Dorie



I signed up for another cooking group. It was shear jealousy that made me do it. I have been watching people bake from Tuesday's with Dorie and have been amazed with the things that they create. However, I recognize that we don't have much of a sweet tooth in my house. When Dorie Greenspan's new book around my french table, I bought it sight unseen.

I have already made a couple recipes from it, and have enjoyed everyone of them. I like the idea of a group of people cooking the same thing and blogging about it. I am fascinated how varied the responses can be. So, I joined French Fridays with Dorie. I find that when I have a deadline at grad school, I am far more productive if I have something more fun to do. And, cooking is always more fun.

The first recipe is Gougères. Gougères are delicious cheese puffs. On Christmas Eve, when we return from evening Mass we have a family buffet. We try to make it easy but elegant. Everyone in the family cooks something, it is a wonderful symphony in my kitchen. I make Jacques Pepin Gougères . They can be made ahead of time and popped into the oven when we get home. We love the recipe, which uses a blend of cheeses and some cayenne pepper. I was interested in seeing how Dorie's came out. I find that it is always hard to top a recipe when you have a favorite recipe that is tied up with memories

Gougères start with whole milk, water, butter and salt being brought to a boil on the stove top. Flour is added, mixed and the mixture is cooked. Then eggs and cheese are added, the Gougères are formed and baked. They are very easy to make.



The aroma that fills the house when you bake them is delicious. People come out of their rooms and into the kitchen hoping for a taste of these delicious, easy morsels.

4 comments:

  1. Glad you joined FFWD. Yours turned out great. I am totally interested in trying the version you make on Christmas Eve. That combo sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got that book too. I'm afraid though that I just can't commit to a weekly thing, otherwise this sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look delicious. I love Jacques Pepin, too. I'm going to have to try that gougere recipe. And I totally know what you mean about being more productive with a deadline. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I loved these!! They're just a little too easy to make.

    ReplyDelete