Search This Blog


Thursday, April 4, 2013

Olive Sables

I have been married a long time, 27 years.   Over those years I really have tried not to lie to my husband.  Now sometimes I might omit some details, some trivial points.  But I do not lie. 

As I was baking these cookies, I tasted the batter and I began to think about how I could even get him to try these.

Actually I was worried before the cookie even began.  When I went to choose the olives.  I wanted to make sure that I was getting the olive oil cured olives.  I asked the man behind the counter.  I didn't have the heart to tell him that I was putting these olives in a recipe with a cup of confectioners sugar.    "Excuse me sir could you tell me which of these olives you would pair with sugar"  never came out of my mouth.

When I went home, I cut the recipe in half.  We like savory, we tolerate some sweet.  But both, in the same mouthful.  Maybe in nuts. 

I got out the ingredients.

I made the cookies.  I didn't like the batter but I thought maybe the flavor would change after baking.  When they came out of the oven, I tried another one.  My last.  I put them on a tray and my husband said "is this a savory cookie"  and I pretended that I didn't hear because he would expect full disclosure.  Normally I've got his back.  But I wanted to see if maybe he'd like them without my input.

He tried one.  He hated it.  He asked me if it was an April fools joke.

I know that some people already have made and enjoyed this Friday's French Fridays with Dorie .  It is amazing how we all have different food preferences. 


  1. least your husband tried these! Sorry these weren't a hit.

    PS Today is our 27th wedding anniversary :)

  2. Awww - sorry it wasn't a very pleasant experience for you.
    If I am trying to get The Dude or the kids to eat something I won't comment on what it is or beg them to not ask me until they've tried it...

  3. My husband loves olives so I was pretty sure he would like these. But with that said at first he thought they were blueberries instead of olives! On his second one he said ok I taste olives!! Have a great weekend!

  4. Ha ha ha:) Very funny story! Sorry they weren't a hit at your house. I was actually surprised how much my husband liked them.

  5. I was really surprised that my husband liked these, as he normally dislikes olives. Apparently, the salty-sweet combo worked for him (and for me too). It is a little funny how tastes can differ! Yours do look pretty good, though!

  6. Sorry these weren’t a hit in your house! We loved them…in fact I froze mine so that I wouldn’t eat them all! My picky eater husband even enjoyed them. Have a great weekend!

  7. I never know what to expect from Hubby when I am making a recipe.
    He surprised me this week by liking these sablés and I was sure he would not. I made egg salad on Monday with ALL the colored eggs.
    I happened to read this recipe and realized I needed a hard boiled egg yolk. Can't win.....

  8. I'm amazed by that assortment of olives!

  9. Yeah, these were a tough sell. But I loved them. Too bad you didn´t! They do look great though. Have a good weekend!

  10. I was dubious until I tasted them. You just never know. I didn't like a lot of the recipes in March. Hopefully you like next week's recipe better.

  11. My father's reaction when he found out I was making olive cookies was, "That sounds weird. You make a lot of weird things, but somehow it always tastes good." Luckily, he loved them.

    On to next week!

  12. It's it grand we don't all like th same things!