Search This Blog

Friday, May 29, 2009

Roasted Beet Salad


I love beets. I believe that people need to give beets another chance. There were lots of beets at the farmers market. Probably because people remember their childhood beets...

I cut off the greens and put the washed beets in a pan with some water, covered them with foil and roasted them until they were fork tender. About 35 minutes at 350. I let them cool, peeled them and sliced them. While they were cooking, I sauteed the stems in garlic and olive oil, then added the leaves. When everything had cooled, I put the leaves and stems on top of some spring greens, added the sliced beets and some grapefruit slices. I topped it all with a salad dressing made from champagne vinegar, olive oil, grapefruit juice and salt and pepper.

Unfortunately or fortunately we find ourselves eating a few more carbohydrates than usual. The bread bakers apprentice challenge has been fun but we have to cut back somewhere.

Normally, I would top this salad with goat cheese and pecans but we are saving room for brioche. I am enjoying going alphabetically through the book. I certainly would skip brioche, a little too much egg and butter. But a challenge is a challenge and my husband is willing to take one for the team.

No comments:

Post a Comment