Search This Blog

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Bagels

The bagels well worth the effort. My husband was happy to come downstairs to fresh bagels. It is a bit of an involved process. Definitely not something for a busy weekend, but perfect for a three day weekend. First you make the sponge and let it sit for two hours.





After two hours, it should be foamy and bubbly.



Then you make the dough. The malt powder tasted like the inside of malted milk balls. I'm glad that I was able to find it. If you are married to someone who enjoys beer, malted milk balls and malts this might be just the right addition to perfect bagels.

The dough was firm and stiff. A little challenging to knead. I like to think that it counted towards an aerobic workout. I cut it in half and added cinnamon and extra yeast to one part for some cinnamon bagels. Divided into twelve rolls and left to rest for 20 minutes.



Covered with a damp towel. A simply fascinating picture.



Shaping the bagels was fun. I tried both methods but preferred the poke a finger in the dough and form the bagels shape. The rope method was more difficult for me.

My bagles passed the float test after ten minutes.



Into the refrigerator for the night.



In the morning, I boiled the bagels.



Baked them and finally waited until they cooled.



The end product.




They were delicious. We need some whitefish salad, which is about as difficult to find in Texas as boiled bagels. I think that I will be making these again in the future.









No comments:

Post a Comment