Search This Blog

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Pommes Dauphinois FFwD



This Friday's recipe for French Fridays with Dorie was Potato Gratin.  What is not to love about potato gratin.   Simple ingredients combined to make a bubbly plate of delicious goodness.






Garlic and heavy cream is brought to a gentle simmer.   Potatoes are sliced with a mandoline and arranged in a pan in overlapping circles.  Each layer is sprinkled with salt and pepper and some warm cream.  When the pan is filled, it is covered with shredded cheese.  The gratin is baked for 45 mins and then allowed to rest while the potatoes absorb a little more cream.

I am biased towards any dish made with potatoes.  However, we have a favorite gratin that is made with grueyere and creme fraiche that is hard to surpass.

14 comments:

  1. I loved this recipe. So easy and comforting. I read where someone else made this dish using creme fraiche. I bet that would be great, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Potato-Gratin-with-Gruyere-and-Creme-Fraiche-107310 Decadence to a new level

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good. Your description of the dish is so enticing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one looks very very very good! I made it as well...we all loved it, now I just need to get it posted before day's end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious. (I'm just glad that you interpreted the French for me!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how your potatoes look like they're in a circular pattern. It looks so creamy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We really enjoyed this recipe. Yours looks so creamy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those potatoes sound so delicious! I can't wait to try them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks great. Im making it tonight for our dinner guests! I spent a fortune on that cheese, it better be good..Ha!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looked so good! I'm not sure I'll make them this month but as soon as I read the ingred. I knew it was a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG your photo is absolutely mouth watering. And I've already tasted the one I made! Looking forward to reading your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The top of your potatoes make want to skim them off and eat them! They are the best part, right? Mmm..
    Trevor Sis. Boom.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks so good! I'm glad I took a look over here so, jostling my memory to start a batch of creme fraiche for this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved and enjoyed this one too!!
    Ur rite,simple ingredients give u some real good bubbly goodness here!!
    Love it!

    ReplyDelete