Search This Blog

Saturday, August 1, 2009

Limoncello & Bruschetta





A novice blogger, I find myself enticed by the challenges out there. The opportunity to try new things, suggested by the blogging world intrigues me. I recently joined Recipes to Rival and participated in my first challenge. Fried Pickles and Ice Cream came up with a refreshing challenge for Recipes to Rival, Bruschetta and Limoncello. Bruschetta is a delicious Italian appetizer and Limoncello is an after dinner drink.

I started working on this challenge weeks ago. First I had to purchase grain alcohol. Some people make their Limoncello with Vodka, but if your state allows its sale, grain alcohol is the alcohol of choice. Here in Texas, I had several varieties to choose from. However, before I could make my purchase, I had to endure the lecture from the perhaps twenty-five year old sales clerk. Grain alcohol is very strong, very dangerous. I told him that I was making Limoncello out of it. He had further warnings about the Limoncello.

I added the beautiful lemon zest to the grain alcohol and let it sit in a cupboard for several weeks. Every so often, I would pull it out and shake it. At some point, my young adult sons discovered that I was making Limoncello. When the time came to strain the mixture and add the sugar syrup, taking care that there are no open flames, I was accused of making a home brew.

The Limoncello was chilled and we sampled it. I am just not a liquor person. At this point in my life, I have had the opportunity to try several after dinner drinks and they are not for me. However, with a little tequila (2 parts), limoncello (1 part), contreau (1/2 part), lime juice(1 Part), lemon juice (1 part) and simple syrup(1/2 part) this turned into a delicious margarita.

Blurry? I wonder why...


5 comments:

  1. Haha! Funny that you got a lecture from the 25-yr-old! I'm glad that you enjoyed the challenge. The margarita recipe sounds delicious... I will have to give it a try!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He said that I wasn't supposed to drink the whole bottle of Limoncello in one sitting! I can barely drink a cordial glass full. But the margaritas will make a come back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the idea of turning it into a margarita! My limoncello is still seeping since I had to use vodka...the liquor store was sold out of the 125 proof everclear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In a year, there'll be days you won't recognize the way you cook ;)
    Blurry ... oh my ... love margaritas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The margarita was delicious, I would recommend it

    ReplyDelete