Search This Blog

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Pita Bread Modern Baker


I signed up to make the pita bread in the bread section of Nick Malgieri's The Modern Baker for the Modern Baker Challenge. I have made these pitas four times, but blogging has been the real challenge.

It is the same excuse every time. I make these for dinner, I get picture of the process up to the end product. By the time we pull them out of the oven, I am putting things on the table. We sit, we laugh, we eat.... We eat them all before I photograph them.

Today I decided to make these while I was alone in the house. Emily and Tom had to go to school early this morning for a mandatory meeting on going to college. No one was thrilled to leave the house on a Saturday morning. Maybe fresh pitas for lunch will perk them up.

This is an easy recipe. The mis en place consists of flour, salt, warm water, olive oil and yeast.



The salt and flour are combined, the yeast is mixed into the water and then the olive oil is added. The liquids are combined with the flour for two minutes and then the dough rests for 10 mins.

The dough is kneaded for a few minutes, allowed to double then divided into 12 pieces.



The pieces rest and then are rolled into rounds.



The rounds rest and then are baked. I've made a batch of hummus and some tzatziki and everything is ready for lunch.

I find that I need to add an extra 1/4 cup of flour to this recipe. I also find that sometimes my pitas puff and sometimes they don't. I don't exactly know why. But this recipe is a keeper.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a beautiful lunch to come home to! Sharing a meal and forgetting to take pictures sounds like the joy of life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It always seems like magic when they puff up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They ate them all at lunch. Luckily I had the photos!

    Pam, maybe magic explains it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yours look perfect! I need to try these again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's really fun to watch them puff up like a balloon and yes some don't puff up; I wonder why.

    I love the one that looks almost like Texas without the chimney.:D

    ReplyDelete