Search This Blog

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Daring Cooks Satays



Cuppy, of Cuppylicious chose a recipe for satays for this month's challenge. She wanted us to focus on the marinade. Options were presented, opportunities existed to marinade and cook just about anything you could put on a stick.

Her first example was a pork satay, which I have never made. I have made chicken, beef and shrimp satays. I actually think that the flavor of most foods improve when they are served on a stick.

The pork was cut into strips, placed in a ziploc bag with all the ingredients that had been quickly processed in the food processor.

1/2 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 Thai dragon (bird’s eye) chili pepper
2 T ginger root, chopped (4 cm cubed)
2 T lemon juice (1 oz or 30 mls)
1 T soy sauce (0.5 oz or 15 mls)
1 T fish sauce (0.5 oz or 15 mls)
1 tsp ground coriander (5 mls)
1 tsp ground cumin (5 mls)
1/2 tsp ground turmeric (2-2.5 mls)
2 T vegetable oil (or peanut or olive oil) (30 mls)

I wasn't sure what a Thai dragon was, but I had some dried red peppers that worked. I let it marinate over night and then grilled them.

I served them with the
Thai pepper dip

4 Tbsp soy sauce (2 oz or 60 mls)
1 Tbsp lemon juice (0.5 oz or 15 mls)
1 tsp brown sugar (5 mls)
1-2 dried red chilies, chopped (keep the seeds for heat)
1 finely chopped green onion (scallion)

Mix well. Serve chilled or room temperature.

and some peanut noodles. I am very tempted to try some of the tofu that I see presented.

4 comments:

  1. yay for the sticks. I too love it. amazing job with the challenge it looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually think that the flavor of most foods improve when they are served on a stick. Yes I think is it a cooking law and your photo looks so appealing. Well done on this challenge. Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like yours turned out well too! I love the idea of the thai pepper dip, I'll have to make that one for the hubby and myself one of these days :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got distracted with your peanut noodles. I'm totally smitten. ;o

    That plate sounds like a winning combination for lunch or dinner. I'm glad it worked out for you!! :D

    ReplyDelete